Thursday, April 3, 2008
So today I took the big plunge and started the 365 project. And Nan is joining me! It will be awesome to have a 365 buddy. So for those of you who haven't heard me obsessing about flickr and self-portraits, here's a summary of the 365 project:
Take one self-portrait every day for 365 days.
So that's it - sounds pretty simple right? I've followed quite a few other 365'rs and it's really an amazing project on a lot of levels. At this point, I'm trying to not put too many expectations on the project and myself - but of course, that is easier said that done for me!
BUT...here are a few reasons why I'm doing it.
1) It will help me to be a better photographer - by the sheer volume of pictures and the fact that I will be carrying my camera with me everywhere! I'm excited to learn more about my new best pal (Nikon D40) and stretch my creative boundaries.
2) There's also an aspect of 'journaling' that appeals to me. I feel like the older I get, the faster time flies by and a year will pass without me really being aware of it. So I'm hoping this will help me be a little more mindful and aware - not to mention having a full year of pictures to remind me of things (good, bad and indifferent) that have happened. I specifically started the project today - April 3rd - because in exactly 6 months I'll be 35.
3) Then there's the whole self-awareness, self-perception thing - how often do we really LOOK at ourselves? Of course, I don't want this to turn in to total navel-gazing narcissim but I'm interested to see how my sense of self changes over the year.
4) And running through all of the reasons above is the need to overcome fear - fear of failure, fear of 'putting myself out there' publicly (artistically, physically, emotionally), fear and loathing of being in front of the camera instead of behind it.
5) Last but not least - i know it will be a lot of fun. I already have some great, really inspiring and encouraging 'flickr friends' - and it is a great way for me and Nan to connect across the miles.